At a Glance
- Size – One-room schoolhouse with small, mixed-age groups, ages three to thirteen. Groups work separately for some projects, but join together for play, mentoring, longer-term projects and appropriate field trips.
- Field Trips – Weekly field trips that enrich our learning
- Outdoor education and ample time outside
- Schedule – Families can enroll for one to four days a week
- Location – Rented space on 16th Street, NW, with lots of natural light, a large yard and access to Rock Creek Park and a nearby playground. We have a kitchen where we can cook and a dedicated classroom, as well as extra space to spread out.
- Self-directed learning – Children bring their interests and passions to the day, learning skills they choose and working on projects created by our experienced guide.
- Experienced guide – A highly experienced educator guides and inspires the students, planning activities that use the kids’ interests and also expose them to new ideas. Children work both independently and in groups.
- Parent volunteers – Every day, a parent co-oper assists the guide, engaging the kids in the activities and supporting the goals for the day.
- Community – We interact with the broader community and aim to be of service to others.